Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Vegetable Bean Soup

I wanted to make vegetable soup, but was feeling lazy and didn't want to drive all the way to the farmers market to get fresh veggies, so I went to the supermarket and decided to try using frozen. They worked great; I couldn't even tell the difference and it was absolutely delicious.

What makes this soup even better is that it was so inexpensive and easy to make! I got the bags of vegetables on sale, so the entire pot of soup only cost me about $5 and will easily feed me for days. I know that I've spent that much on a 1 cup of "homemade" soup from a store or 2 cans of soup, so it's definitely worth it to make your own sometimes.


Vegetable Bean Soup

3 Bags of Frozen Vegetables (12-16oz) [I used Shoprite's Steam in Bag Asian Stirfry, California Blend (Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots) and Peas]
1 bag (16 oz) Goya 16 Bean Soup Mix
1 Red Onion
2 Stalks of Celery
1 tbsp minced garlic
Olive Oil (for sautéing)
4 Quarts (16 cups) of water mixed with Osem Chicken Style Consomme [or 4 Quarts of any other type of broth]
Spices*
  • Bay leaf
  • Old Bay
  • Oregano
  • Basil
  • Cinnamon
  • Allspice
  • Salt & Pepper (to taste)
*Note: At one point, I just started adding different spices and seasonings without writing any of them down. I don't know the exact measurements - and I may have forgotten a spice or two - so just use this list as a guideline. Experiment and decide what tastes good to you!

Before you begin, make sure you rinse the beans.

Saute the onions in a stock pot until they start to turn clear, then add the celery and saute a few minutes longer. Add garlic, stir a few times.

Add the 3 bags of frozen vegetables and the bag of beans.

Add the vegetable broth or water. Bring to a boil.
[Note: If you are using the consomme, add the powder after you bring the water to a boil.]

Add the spices and then stir a few times to mix everything together.

Reduce the heat to simmer [low/medium heat] and cover.

Let the soup simmer for an hour to an hour and a half. When the beans are cooked, the soup is done.
[Note: I let the soup sit on the stove for a few hours after it was done to let the flavors blend together a bit longer.]

Don't forget to remove the bay leaf before serving.

Servings: You'll probably be eating it for the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment