Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Homemade Mixed Berry Soy Ice Cream

Last summer, I went to a fundraiser for The Last Resort Animal Rescue and Sanctuary and bought a Donvier Ice Cream Maker (manual version) for $4 - which turns out to have been an amazing deal! I remember thinking that you needed a special type of salt to make ice cream, so I put it away in storage and forgot about it.

Over the past few weeks, I've seen a lot of different recipes - not using salt - but they all called for an ice cream maker which I (thought) didn't have. That is until I paid a visit to my storage room the other day and saw it sitting there! So I picked it up, brought it home and made myself some vegan ice cream. It was delicious, creamy and so simple that I can't wait to test out other flavors!


Mixed Berry Soy Ice Cream


2 Cups Soy Milk (I used Silk DHA Omega-3 & Calcium)
2 Cups Mixed Berries (frozen are fine, but make sure they're slightly thawed)
3/4 Cups Sugar (I used Evaporated Cane Sugar)

1. Freeze the metal freezer bowl for at least 7 hours before use.
2. In a blender, blend together soy milk, mixed berries and sugar until combined well.
3. Remove the metal freezer bowl from freezer and place into ice cream maker. Place the blade in the bowl, pour in the berry mixture and then cover with the lid and attach the handle.
4. Rotate the handle 3 to 4 times and then let sit for another few minutes. Repeat this process for about 20 minutes or until mixture reaches an ice cream consistency.
5. You can eat the ice cream right away of if you want a firmer consistency, transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe bowl and freeze for another hour or so.

That's all there is to it!

Makes about 1/2 quart of ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment