Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Meatout 2011 / Super Simple Vegan French Toast

Happy Meatout 2011, everyone!

What is Meatout, you ask? Meatout is an international event where people pledge to give up animal products for the day. That's it! It's really easy and anyone can participate. Yes, even you. Be sure to check out the Meatout site for more information and click here to check out the blogs of all the other vegan bloggers, who are participating today and who will be offering some great tips and meal suggestions.

You can also head over to VegWeb for some great recipe ideas! Here's a simple and yummy, vegan breakfast idea to help get you started :)

I'm all about simplicity. I love cooking food that tastes great but is really easy to make. So when I went vegan, I was on a mission to hunt down a super simple french toast recipe - after all, the 'real' version only uses eggs, milk and bread - but it seemed that every one that I found called for so many 'fancy' ingredients that I figured that there had to be a simpler way which used things that I already had. And there is!



Vegan French Toast
(Servings: 1)

1/2 Cup Soy Milk
2 tbsp Flour
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 slices of Bread

Whisk together soy milk, flour, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a shallow bowl. Dredge bread through mixture, cook in a pan over medium heat until slightly browned. Flip over and cook on the other side until browned.

Variations:
Instead of soy milk use coconut milk, rice milk, hazelnut milk or even soy nog to make 'egg nog' french toast during the holidays.
Instead of cinnamon, use other spices (ex. pumpkin pie spice mix)
Use other flavored extracts such as strawberry, coconut, orange, etc.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Tracie, for keeping it simple! I love french toast! :-) Actually, we had a special treat today - coconut pancakes! Yum. Thanks for sharing your blog as part of this Meatout bloggers' event! Look forward to seeing more of your recipes! Cheers for the animals! ~ Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this amazing recipe. I too love French toast, and even more, I'm always looking for the simplest recipes possible -- this one is perfect. Happy Meatout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum--this looks and sounds fabulous. Ever have any luck making with a gluten-free bread (I've found most kinds just crumble)? Maybe I'll experiment. :)

    Happy Meatout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Cindi - Coconut pancakes sound delicious! I've been on a bit coconut kick lately, so I may have to make something like that soon!

    @Midge - Your welcome! It's amazing what you can come up with when you really want something and can't don't have what the recipe calls for. That's how this one was born :)

    @Jill - I haven't tried making this with gluten free bread. If you try it out, let me know how it works.

    ReplyDelete