Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Chef Chloe's Avocado Pesto Pasta

After watching up and coming vegan chef, Chloe Coscarellli sweep the competition on Cupcake Wars, I decided to check out her site and found this amazing looking recipe for Avocado Pesto Pasta.

The first time I planned to make it, I only had one avocado - so I had to wait. Then, I got two avocado's, but I had to wait for them to ripen. Finally, I got to make the pasta this past weekend and it was definitely worth the wait. It's super simple and totally delicious - just be sure that you have a large enough food processor, otherwise it will become quite the project. I'd suggest one that can hold at least 7 cups, otherwise you may have some issues.

The original recipe is below but I used some substitutions, so I've italicized them and put them in brackets.
















Avocado Pesto Pasta

Serves 6

What You Need:
1 pound dried linguine
1 bunch basil leaves (about 2½ ounces)
½ cup pine nuts [1/4 cup salted cashews, 1/4 cup unsalted cashews]
2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about ½ of a lemon) [3 tablespoons lemon juice]
3 cloves garlic [3 tsp chopped garlic]
½ cup olive oil
Salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (optional) [didn't use]

What You Do:
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add pasta and cook to package directions. While pasta cooks, in a food processor, blend basil, pine nuts, avocados, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Drain pasta. In a large serving bowl, toss pesto with hot, freshly cooked pasta and garnish each serving with a basil leaf. For an extra touch of color and flavor, top pasta with sundried tomatoes.
3. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment